Home Improvement Plans This Year? Check Out One Expert’s Advice
By Kelly Leighton | May 2, 2023 | 2 min. read
With so many homeowners planning home improvement projects this year and beyond, where do you begin? What are the best projects to tackle?
“A kitchen remodel is a great project to do if you’re looking to maximize your return on investment,” said Michael Gifford, CEO and co-founder of Splitero. “A minor remodel can include new hardware, countertops, cabinet faces, appliances, flooring and fresh paint. Today’s homebuyers are looking for modern kitchens with big islands to gather around and make memories.”
Looking to make a home more eco-friendly but feeling overwhelmed or have limited resources? Gifford recommends changing your lighting to compact fluorescent bulbs or LEDs. “Compared to traditional incandescent bulbs, CFL bulbs consume around 25% less energy and last 10 times longer, providing the same level of illumination. LED bulbs, on the other hand, use 75% less energy and last 15 to 25 times longer than incandescent bulbs. Swapping out these lights also comes with cost savings.”
Gifford noting replacing just five frequently used light sources with one of these options can save consumers $45 to $75 a year. “Energy-efficient lights require less frequent replacement, translating into long-term cost savings. Purchasing and replacing light bulbs takes less than a day, which makes it a convenient and effortless way to create a more eco-friendly home,” he added.
If consumers are looking for a larger project, Gifford suggests adding more usable square feet, such as an extra bedroom or bathroom. “We have also seen accessory dwelling units bring significant value when it is time to sell. This is especially true after the pandemic, as homeowners covet separate spaces for a home office or detached guest quarters for entertaining,” he said.
“Choose timeless finishes over trendy looks to get the most out of your home renovations. When it is time to sell, you want your upgrades to appeal to as many buyers as possible,” added Gifford.
Subscribe To JustListed Daily Emails
You’ll be the first to know about real estate trends and various legal happenings. Stay up-to-date by subscribing to JustListed.