Back to the blog

Lead-paint renovations require certified contractor

by Kim Shindle on

New EPA rules require contractors doing home repairs on homes built prior to 1978 to take specific training in lead paint-safe practices as of April 22, according to Dale Kemery, spokesperson for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

“First the homeowner should make sure lead-based paint is present in the home using an EPA-approved kit before hiring a contractor,” Kemery said. “If it’s present, the homeowner must work with a contractor who has been certified. The contractor will have a certification with an EPA logo and a registration number.”

Kemery said sanding, scraping and sawing can release lead into the air when home repairs are done. Homeowners who do repairs themselves are not required to have training.

According to Kemery, lead-based paint is still the primary source of lead poisoning for children in the United States.

Lead-based paint can be an issue during a sales transaction. Based on EPA recommendations, PAR has changed how lead-based paint disclosure is handled with the introduction of the new Lead-Based Paint Hazards Disclosure form (LPD).

Mike Barth, PAR’s standard forms specialist, said federal law states that a lead-based paint disclosure has to be completed by all homeowners who are selling properties built prior to 1978. PAR had previously handled that disclosure in an addendum to the Agreement of Sale, but the new Lead-Based Paint Hazards Disclosure Form should be completed by the seller when the listing agreement is signed or when the seller disclosure form is completed.

“The new Agreement of Sale allows the buyer to elect a lead-based paint inspection, along with any other inspection that might be selected in the Agreement,” Barth added.


Epa Forms Lead-based paint
Comments (2)


  • Sal Mazzocchi    April 20, 2010 | 11:50 am


    Reply to Sal Mazzocchi
  • Peter N. Lamandre    April 20, 2010 | 12:27 pm

    The affect is broad reaching, in North eastern Section of PA (and I would suspect in most of PA) most homes were built prior to 1978. Almost any work done in a home must be done by a properly certified person/firm. This may affect transactions after home inspections when repairs are requested…
    With few exceptions… anyone that swings a hammer, turns a wrench or runs a wire will need to be certified….

    Partial list of affected parties from the EPA Site…

    • Building construction (NAICS code 236), e.g., single family housing construction, multi-family housing construction, residential remodelers.
    • Specialty trade contractors (NAICS code 238), e.g., plumbing, heating, and air-conditioning contractors, painting and wall covering contractors, electrical contractors, finish carpentry contractors, drywall and insulation contractors, siding contractors, tile and terrazzo contractors, glass and glazing contractors.
    • Real estate (NAICS code 531), e.g., lessors of residential buildings and dwellings, residential property managers.
    • Child day care services (NAICS code 624410).
    • Elementary and secondary schools (NAICS code 611110), e.g., elementary schools with kindergarten classrooms.
    • Other technical and trade schools (NAICS code 611519), e.g., training providers.
    • Engineering services (NAICS code 541330) and building inspection services (NAICS code 541350), e.g., dust sampling technicians.

    This listing is not intended to be exhaustive, but rather provides a guide for readers regarding entities likely to be affected by this action. Other types of entities not listed in this unit could also be affected.

    Reply to Peter N. Lamandre

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *